HLS Legal | November 24, 2016
As a part of ten loyal years of service to HLS Legal clients, including two years as a Director, Ali is now our very experienced and highly regarded Special Counsel.
Ali advises and represents employers in employment and industrial relations matters in a wide range of industries including energy and resources, construction, healthcare, education, retail and maritime.
Ali advises employers on:
- their obligations under state and federal workplace relations legislation, occupational health and safety, equal opportunity and anti-discrimination
- industrial relations and employment matters including industrial disputes, unfair dismissal, general protections and bullying claims, employee disciplinary matters, restructuring and redundancies, as well as transfer of business issues, executive terminations
- drafting of enterprise agreements, employment agreements, executive service agreements, contractor agreements, policies, and procedures
- conducting workplace investigations and training
Ali has represented clients in Fair Work Commission unfair dismissal proceedings and general protections claims, in the Equal Opportunity Commission and in mediation in the Supreme Court. Ali has conducted employment and industrial relations related litigation in the Federal Circuit Court and Federal and Supreme Courts.
Ali previously worked for a national law firm in its workplace relations practice area.
Ali also worked as an in-house lawyer to an education sector organisation which employed around 10,000 staff, providing advice to around 160 primary and secondary schools on employment and industrial relations matters.
Before practicing as a lawyer, Ali was an Associate to a Commissioner in the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (predecessor to the Fair Work Commission) and an Inspector at the Office of Workplace Services (predecessor to the Fair Work Ombudsman).
- Bachelor of Science (University of Western Australia)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Western Australia)
- Master of Laws (Australian National University)
- Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Supreme Court of Australian Capital Territory
- Federal Court
- High Court